How to Jumpstart a Car
If you notice strange car noises when you try to start up the engine in St. Clair Shores, you might be dealing with a dying battery. But if you know how to jumpstart a car, you can save yourself a costly tow and get back on the road by yourself. Find out exactly how to jump a car with our step-by-step guide at Jeffrey Honda.
What You’ll Need for Jumpstarting a Car
You might think that jumpstarting a car requires a lot of equipment, but it really doesn’t. All you really need are a good set of jumper cables. These cables are easy to store in your trunk, so consider adding a set to your car essentials kit. If you feel nervous about the process, feel free to dig out your owner’s manual as well for guidance.
How to Jump a Car like a Pro
Before you begin, you’ll need to find a good Samaritan who is willing to help you out. They must have a car with a working battery that is the same or greater voltage than your car battery, but other than that, make and model does not matter. Once you’ve got your partner, take out your jumper cables and follow these steps:
- Switch off both engines and turn on the parking brake for safety.
- Attach the red clip to the positive terminal of your battery.
- Attach the other red clip to the positive terminal of the other battery.
- Attach the black clip to the negative terminal of the other battery.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car, like the hood struts.
- Ask your partner to turn on their car and wait for several minutes.
- Try to start your car. If it doesn’t work, try again after five more minutes.
- Once your car starts, be sure to drive around for 15 minute or more to charge up the battery.
Schedule Your Service at Jeffrey Honda
Whether dealing with a dead battery, a leaking vehicle, or want to learn more about your alternator or how to wash your car, the staff at Jeffrey Honda will take care of your car woes with ease. We’re located in Roseville near Sterling Heights, so feel free to schedule your service to get started. Still have questions? Contact us anytime!