How to Restore Headlights
If your headlights look a little dim and dull, it might be time for a little TLC. But, many drivers wonder how to restore headlights properly on their own. The process is surprisingly simple with the right tools, the right directions, and some elbow grease.
Benefits of Restoration
A set of dingy headlights not only looks bad, but it can also affect the performance of your vehicle as well. Over time, all headlights lose their luster due to damage from UV light. This creates a hazy look, diminishing the brilliance of your headlights and reducing visibility. Luckily, it’s easy to fix.
Before you get to work, you’ll need the right materials. Gather up the following supplies, and be sure to head to Jeffrey Honda’s parts department if you’d prefer an all-in-one restoration kit:
- Car washing materials
- Low-tack tape
- Spray bottle full of water
- Wet/dry sandpaper (1000, 1500, 2000,2500, and 3000 grit)
- Polishing compound
- Microfiber or flannel cloth
- Paste car wax
- UV sealant
Now that you’ve got all the supplies in hand, it’s time to restore your headlights!
- Wash your car to remove all the surface dirt and debris.
- Tape off your headlights with low-tack tape to prevent scratches.
- Soak you 1000-grit sandpaper in water for 10 minutes and scrub the surface of your headlights, spraying with water as you go.
- When all pits and scratches are gone, repeat the process with the remaining sandpaper. Finish with the finest 3000-grit.
- Apply a polish compound with your clean, dry cloth and spread in a circular movement. Buff in until the surface is clear.
- Remove the remaining polish compound and apply the wax to keep out rain, dirt, and salt.
- Add the UV sealant to protect from future damage.
- Remove the tape, and re-adjust your headlights if needed.
Stop by Jeffrey Honda for Advice!
Whether you’re looking for a restoration kit or a full detailing, or need advice on how to replace your wiper blades, fix a locked steering wheel, or align uneven tires, head to Jeffrey Honda for expert advice. Our service department can walk you through the process if you’d like to take matters into your own hands, but we’d be happy to take care of your headlight restoration if you’d prefer!