Winter Driving Tips
From serene snow days to raging ice storms, Chicago winters can be unpredictable from one day to the next. But with the right winter driving tips and techniques, you can stay prepared for any driving scenario that you encounter. Jeffrey Honda has assembled some of the top, tried-and-true winter driving safety advice to give you greater confidence during your holiday travels. Let’s get started!
Winter Driving Safety
When it comes to winter driving safety, preparation is key. It’s a good idea to double check your safety equipment and perform a little maintenance well before the first snowfall. Here are a few tips to try before you even start the engine:
- Consider an inspection before the worst of the winter hits. A certified technician can check components like your brakes, battery, and engine to prevent any mishaps down the road.
- Keep your eyes on the weather report if you have long-distance travel in the future. Rather than battling the elements, consider shifting your travel times to avoid inclement weather, and be sure to let someone know your estimated time of arrival as a precaution.
- Try to keep your gas tank at least half full when the frigid weather sets in to help prevent a gas line freeze-up, and check your tire air pressure frequently to get the best traction possible.
- Pack a few emergency supplies in the cabin in case you get caught in heavy snow: blankets, gloves, hats, non-perishable food, water, and extra medication.
Driving Safely in the Snow
Now that your car is prepped and ready to go, it’s time to head out on the open road!
- Don’t warm up your vehicle in an enclosed area, and be sure to check that your exhaust pipe is clear to avoid carbon monoxide build-up.
- Once on the road, drive with caution. Accelerate and decelerate slowly to avoid losing control on ice and snow. Leave a larger following distance between yourself and surrounding traffic.
- When approaching hills, inertia is key. Gather a little speed on the flat roadway and keep moving up the hill. If you stop, you run the risk of sliding or even stopping.
Stay Safe This Winter with Jeffrey Honda
Want more winter driving safety tips? Contact us at Jeffrey Honda with any questions, and we’ll be happy to help you stay safe this holiday season. In fact, why not schedule an appointment for your winter readiness inspection today? We’re only a short drive from Grosse Pointe, St. Clair Shores, and Sterling Heights – so stop by today!