The Impressive 40 Year Honda Accord History
The Honda Accord is one of the most trusted vehicles of all time—and for very good reason. The Honda Accord history includes 40 years of innovation, engineering, and reliability excellence. The Accord has also continuously set the bar for style, sophistication, and comfort in a package of ultimate sedan practicality. It’s really no wonder that the Accord has been a top seller across all makes and models for many, many years. Take a look at a few of the incredible facts about the Honda Accord’s 40 years on the road.
Impressive Sales and Coveted Awards
The Accord is sold as quickly as it can be produced. The Accord has been a top retail-selling car for the past few years. Since its debut in 1976, there has been a whopping 12.7 million Accords sold. In fact, the Accord is one of the best selling cars of the past 40 years. If the incredible sales numbers don’t convince you that the Accord is a legend in its own right, then maybe the massive amount of accumulated awards will!
Accord’s Iconic History
The Accord has had an exciting 40 years of success filled with events that have marked milestones for the popular sedan.
- The Accord was first sold in the U.S. in 1976 at a starting MSRP of $3,995 as a hatchback with a Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion (CVCC) 68 hp engine, roll-up front windows, remote hatch release, rear defroster and wiper, and 13-inch steel wheels—all cutting-edge features at the time.
- In 1982, the Accord became the first Japanese vehicle to be manufactured in the United States and started offering Electronic Fuel Injection.
- In 1983, the Accord reached 1 million sales.
- In 1986, the Double Wishbone Suspension debuted.
- In 1990, anti-lock brakes became the latest technology.
- In 1994, the VTEC engine was a cutting-edge performance feature.
- In 1995, 5 million Accords had been sold.
- In 1998, the Accord pioneered traction control.
- In 2003, the high-tech navigation system was available on the Accord.
- By 2008, Honda developed the Advanced Compatibility Engineering for safety and Vehicle Stability Assist.
- In 2015, HondaSensing safety technology, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto were offered as state-of-the-art innovations for the 2016 model.
Experience Honda’s Legendary Performance
When you get behind the wheel of an Accord, you’ll feel every one of those 40 years of innovation and engineering. Until you’ve seen and driven the latest Honda Accord, you really haven’t experienced all that the Accord has to offer. Dive straight in to the 40-year Honda Accord history with a test drive today. Contact us today to learn more about our extensive and impressive inventory from our friendly Honda experts.